Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Field Trip: Climbing Fuya Fuya

10/15/2013
We have lived in Ecuador for two and a half months and have settled into a comfortable routine. So now it is time to start exploring a bit more. Yesterday, I did my first big hike. After getting both kids off to school, I packed myself a lunch, filled my camel back with water and packed it with lots of warm clothing. My friend Lindsay was supposed to pick me up around 9:00 with two farm volunteers (Isabelle and Nicholas) but ended up coming around 10:00. The worker at her farm borrowed the truck for a "few minutes to get some water" and didn't return for an hour and half. This seems to be normal behavior around here so none of us let it bother us. 

It was warm, sunny day and we all started the hike in short sleeves. This didn't last long though as the temperature drops quickly at this elevation (the base of the trail is over 12,000 feet.) The first part of the hike was a nice gently sloping trail through the paramo (high elevation grassland), then the trail turned steeply upward and eventually ended in a rock scramble. The whole thing took us about two hours and we took lots of breaks to catch out breath. My body is definitely not used to this elevation. As we sat on the ridge looking out over the Andes and the valleys below, a hail storm blew in, and then back out again. We also got to observe the rain shadow effect perfectly. This is when the clouds on one side of a mountain get pushed up to the ridge, dropping their moisture as they go. Once at the top there is very little moisture left and so the opposite side of the mountain is considerably dryer. I remember reading about this in one of my ecology classes, but is sure is easier to understand when you get to watch it. 

The hike down was much faster, as it was easier to do a controlled fall (run) than to walk slowly on such a steep pitch. Just as we neared the car, it began to sprinkle but none of us got all that wet. Two days later, walking up stairs is still pretty painful, but I look forward to my next big hike. Perhaps Niffer and I can do this one together in January.



Fuya Fuya-Our destination

Nice hike over the paramo (high grasslands) before our steep climb.

Looking back at Laguna de Mojanda

Catching our breath-man is it hard to breath up here.




Time to add a layer-the temperature is dropping.








Lindsay and me at the top.

Perfect example of a rain shadow





4 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures and the rain cloud is amazing even in your pictures, which capture the concept perfectly. And the black dog, not Gabi. But she could do it. I think the glucosamine is making a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fantastic hike up a bigger mountain than I have ever seen. Great pictures. Nice history lesson from Justin, is this an online course? Just kidding. Written with his usual flair. Thank you Justin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom, we could climb it when you come down if you want to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures, Kerry. Thank you. The climb must have been amazing.


    ReplyDelete