Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Wandering Around Peguche - Kerry


Handmade wood area rug-Three and a half months of work

Now that the kids are both settled in and comfortable (mas o menus) I am free to explore. From 8:00 until noon, I have nothing that I need to do. I have been hesitant to wander too much on my own but decided that it was time to get out. So today I decided to walk to a hilltop hotel called Casa Sol to see if it would be a good place for visiting parents to stay. It is located in Peguche, a small town next to Otavalo and is the heart of the weaving community around here. The hotel was beautiful and while there, I ran into two women from Vermont-small world. They were off to explore the artists studios around town and needed some help with spanish, so I decided to join them. We spent three hours talking to weavers, watching as they explained how each piece was made and admiring their beautiful work. I refrained from purchasing anything but know that I will return later and will leave a lot poorer. Here are a few images from the day.   --Kerry


Traditional method used to create weavings

Looms make things a lot easier

Wall Hanging

Wall Hanging

100% alpaca wool





No comments:

Post a Comment