Saturday, December 15, 2012

Field Trip: Imbabura Bushwack

Volcan Imbabura in the morning from our landlord's roof.  I thought I'd ride out/up and explore one of the quebradas (wooded drainages) I'd been studying.
Above Peguche, closing the distance
The closer you get, the more the ridge spreads out.  Imbabura seems to flatten from this perpective.
Fresh corn crop at, oh say 11,500'.  Lago San Pablo in the middle, Volcan Fuya Fuya's double peak just visible behind the right end of the ridge.
Passing through the last farms.
My target in sight, the trail is a barely visible gash in the right of the frame, essentially a vertical approach.
Looking back toward Otavalo.  We live between the two little hills in the center.
Imbabura's crown.
After a friendly chat with this man tending his cows, I'd learn that there was an impassable chasm between us and the trail I was looking for on the other side.  After bidding good morning, I would try to bushwacking for an hour or so around the hill in the left of the frame.  Next time, I will have a machete and some long pants.
Bovine intervention
Imbabura in a veil
The Heart of Imbabura, from the side.  There is a deep cut just below the angled ridge line.
Yet another flat.  Tube #13.
Corazon de Imbabura
Parting shot on the descent back to Otavalo

1 comment:

  1. Hello fellow Huntingtonians! I am friends with Aaron Worthley and Dori Barton - that is how I found out about your blog. I grew up on lower East Street just above where it turns to dirt. My parents, Wally and Chris Jenkins, still live there. I have been studying Spanish and traveling in Ecuador for a month and a half, mostly south of Quito. For the next two weeks I will be volunteering with a sustainable agriculture/reforestation project called Brethren y Unida in Tabacundo. I am considering visiting Otavalo as well. Would you recommend it? Perhaps we could meet up and exchange stories. I enjoyed reading about and seeing some of your adventures. If you are interested I have a few stories on my blog: http://www.mountainmaestro.blogspot.com/
    Cheers,
    Peter Jenkins
    771 East Street

    ReplyDelete